OS Error on Boot

Nickolai Toupikov nickolai.toupikov at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:15:14 UTC 2009

> But I do agree, following all of the badblock errors, it appears that
> his drive is going bad (quickly) - unless of course running fsck on the
> mounted drive caused the bad blocks...

does smartctl have anything to say about this? Usually it can tell you
what is (physically) going on and confirm that it is a hard drive
failure.
$ sudo smartctl /dev/sdb -a
(sdb, not sdb6 ! ) not sure it comes preinstalled though.
It had warned me a couple of days before my old hard drive failure
saving me lots of trouble!
(if the disk has a SMART support, which most of them do AFAIK)
Of course the standard approach when it comes to hard drives is. "When
in doubt - back up your data! When not in doubt - back up your data!"

Good luck.
Nickolai