See you again soon!

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:48:22 UTC 2009

Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> Well, thanks to those of you who have taken the trouble to relate to my
> questions. The time has once again come for me to throw in the towel. I
> have been giving Linux a try once a year since SuSE 4.2 (which I had to
> buy!) in order to see if the functions I need had at last been
> incorporated. Ubuntu has been my distribution of choice for that last
> few years and the latest version has come rather close to meeting the
> requirements. Unfortunately "rather close" is not close enough to allow
> me to replace Windows. Running a dual boot with XP, and switching every
> time I need a function or a piece of hardware that Linux doesn't play
> with is time consuming and frustrating. I find I am spending far too
> much time tweaking Linux to perform elementary but essential tasks and
> not actually doing productive work. I had to buy a driver for my
> printer. The scanner and a variety of other electronic gizmos are
> incommunicado. Convenient relatively sophisticated human language
> translation (like Babylon) is still unavailable. Hebrew nikud is still
> unavailable. These two functions can be achieved, I am told, via an
> incredible series of command line instructions. I started doing that,
> then stopped when I realized that once again my Linux "hobby" was
> preventing me from completing significant projects. Some of you have
> been most eager to help, but, in truth, you have been guessing. How is
> it possible that no one knows how to change the date renderings in Linux
> to European style? I refuse to believe that you are all happily using
> the Yank sequence. How is it possible that not one other user has need
> of more than four keyboards? The list goes on. This list is entitled
> "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions". Although I
> am grateful to those of you who have rendered help and made suggestions,
> my general impression is that this is a "general discussion". Ubuntu
> stays on board in my dual boot, unless another distro shows more
> promise, but I am withdrawing from the list for the time being. Thanks
> again. I  respect you for your perseverance with Linux. It does you honour.
> Avraham

	By all means go back to your beloved XP! I was not able to do that so I
had to make my Wal Mart Brothers printer work on 3 versions of  Ubuntu
and it does. I have not used Windows since Windows 3.1 was new. I have
not found anything I could not do with Linux. But of course I do not
need to buy a Virus control software every year and Linux is free
software so my cost to own is very close to Zero.

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User