No good CD-Rom copy software (fwd)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 8 12:12:38 UTC 2009

hi,
On Mi, 2009-07-08 at 20:46 +1000, Res wrote:
> Discussion is whats needed, the laywers have saud its Ok,
i wonder if you need to clean your glasses or something...

the technical board engaged with [1] who said *it was not OK* ... this
was announced in [2].
just to quote from it a last time, read it slowly and carfully so you
understand each word of it and hopeful stop the noise on this list:

Joerg Schilling has declined to grant a specific permission on his CDDL
code, and in the absence of that (or in the absence of a broader
discussion between CDDL and GPL stakeholders to resolve the licence
incompatibility), Eben Moglen of SFLC informs us that we cannot ship
cdrtools.

one of the core instances for opensource licenses has stated linking
code under specifically these two licenses is *not OK* in [3] ...

if joerg doesnt grant the mentioned permission or the known licensing
issue that are acknowledged to *not work* legally together by all
instances that handle opensource licenses in the linux world isnt
cleared up, the technical board wont allow the software into the
official archives ...

if you want to have the issue revisited and have any chance to ever get
the software included in ubuntu, annoying mark with private mail is the
wrong way, shouting out loudly and annoying on the technical support
list for users is the wrong way, please stop the topic here and go to
the proper instances...

the only place for you to go if you want to have the issue picked up
again is [4]. neither mark in private, nor the ubuntu-users list, nor
debian decides on ubuntu licensing and software issues only the
technical board does.

put it on the agenda [5] and appear to the next meeting and state your
concerns there but please stop spamming the list with issues the list
cant make any decision on. it doesnt help and only produces noise.

if you want the ubuntu-burning team to update the packages in the PPA
for newer releases, please contact the ubuntu-burning team [6].

> some debian maintainer who  HAS and axs to grind say its not, thats
> wrong and that loser should be brought to bear.

once again please note that discussing the personal dispute between
joerg and eduard has nothing to do with the issue at all and doesnt
belong on this list.

ciao
	oli

[1] http://www.softwarefreedom.org