Buffer overflow wx200d at ttyS0 on 9.04

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Wed Jul 8 11:05:53 UTC 2009

I have an Oregon Weather Station, which is compatible with WX200.

I have been using it successfully for a long time on Ubuntu 8.04.
Recently the 8.04 has been replaced by 9.04 and I have re-installed the
WX200.

The system is a server/client system with wx200d as the server and wx200
as the client.  I start the server by issuing the command:
wx200d -r -s /dev/ttyS0
as a normal user.
On 9.04 I get:
"wx200d[6076]: *** buffer overflow detected ***: ./wx200d terminated"
after a few seconds.
I have tried to telnet to the wx200d server:
telnet localhost 9753
immediately after starting the server.
I get a connection, but I only see a few funny characters before the
server terminates.
The issue is the same whether I use a fresh compilation of wx200d or I use
the compilation from 8.04.

What do I do to investigate the problem or does someone have some hints.
--
                           Carl Friis-Hansen