backup

Daryl Styrk darylstyrk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 03:01:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 07:22:22PM -0700, NoOp wrote:

> I have to admit that after several years of reading these posts my eyes
> glaze over when someone posts your advise. I suspect John (and other
> Ubuntu users) will as well. This is not intended to offend you, but John
> stated "I know very ltitlle about backups except cpoying files to a
> cd/dvd". While your suggestions may be excellent for an experienced
> linux/unix user, it probably does little to help John out.
>
> So, please provide/point to simple instructions/tutorials if you can.

I did.  The manual pages.  As in the document that tells you how to
use something.  I also included some examples of my own.  Surely you don't
expect me/us to re-write/cliff-note the manuals.  Along with the manual pages,
google, and the examples provided, I suggest you go and try some of them
and come back here with the problems you run into along the way.

Do this.  Make two new dirs..

$ mkdir source ; mkdir dest
$ cd source
$ touch file1 file2 file3 file4; ls
$ mkdir included; cd included
$ touch filea fileb filec filed; ls
$ cd; ls

Now you have 2 directories that contain 4 files each.  Back them up to the
directory dest/

rsync -avh source/ dest/source/

sending incremental file list
created directory dest/source
./
file1
file2
file3
file4
included/
included/filea
included/fileb
included/filec
included/filed

sent 467 bytes  received 171 bytes  1.28K bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

Go look in dest/  It's all there.. Play around with them some more while
looking over the examples you find in the man pages and on the web.
google.com/linux is a great place to start.

> Note: I'm also interested because I'm in process of figuring out how to
> transfer/clone a 20Gb laptop hard drive to a 40Gb networked hard drive,
> and then install a 30Gb hard drive in the laptop & restore from the 20Gb
> backup. This would be similar to John backing up his existing system to
> the new USB drive & restoring it... only difference perhaps would be
> that he is using an attached device while I am using a networked device.

Have a look at partimage or clonezilla for that task.

--
Daryl Styrk
Naples FL, USA