9.04 xorg badly broken

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 23:13:59 UTC 2009

On 07/06/2009 03:37 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Synopsis: packages are now up to date.
>
> Didn't need to do all that.  Retrying got dpkg to run clean and access
> all sources and indexes.

Excellent!
> Still no xfix.

See below - but probably not necessary since you can ssh -X into the
machine now. Instead from a terminal:

$ sudo /usr/share/recovery-mode/options/xfix

I was able to install
> openssh-server and can log in with X forwarding from my laptop and run
> things like synaptic, so things are going better.
>
> But there's still no X.

Synaptic does come up? If so, then X is working, gdm probably isn't (or
is crashing). Do you get any login screen now?

You might try:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall gdm

> ++ kevin

Trying to keep this all in one thread (Leonard...):

You posted:
> It's a bit different for me.  Pressing escape before grub starts does
> nothing, maybe because there's no boot manager before grub.  I have it
> on the MBR, and it's first in line.  But yes, I start the second
> kernel, and it is recovery mode.  But the menu I get does not match
> this description.  Instead I get a character-mode menu UI (looks sort
> of graphical, but does not respond
> to a mouse, just arrow keys), with 6 options:
>   1 resume   Resume normal boot
>   2 clean      Try to make free space
>   3 dpkg       Repair broken packages
>   4 fsck        File system check
>   5 grub       Update grub bootloader
>   6 netroot    Drop to root shell prompt with networking
>
> No xfix.

Use the *down arrow* key. You should then see:

   resume   Resume normal boot
   clean      Try to make free space
   dpkg       Repair broken packages
   fsck        File system check
   grub       Update grub bootloader
   netroot    Drop to root shell prompt with networking
   root	      Drop to a root shell prompt
   xfix       Try to auto repair graphic problems