visualbox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 20:54:04 UTC 2009

On 07/06/2009 06:57 AM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

>> Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> > I am a new user of VB and I am just feeling my way around. I have loaded
>> > VB 3.0 PUEL and it is running Windows XP Pro in Ubuntu 9.04. I would
>> > like to be able to use an external HDD with a USB connection with XP
>> > but, so far, have failed to do so. Should it be possible for a non
>> > technical person like me to do this, please? All help greatly
>> > appreciated.
>> >

>> In short, absolutely.
>>
>> Ensure you're running the PUEL version of Virtualbox.  As long as you
>> are, you're golden with using USB devices.  Here's how its done.
>>
>> It doesn't matter if VB is running or not when you connect your USB
>> device, but it must be connected and visible to Ubuntu (HDDs will
>> generally present an icon on the Ubuntu desktop when recognized and
>> fully enumerated).
>>
>> If VB isn't running, launch it.  if it is, get it in the foreground and
>> start your guest operating system (in your case WinXP).
>>
>> Once the guest OS is running, look at the outer edge of the VB window at
>> top left.  One of the pull down menus will be 'USB Devices'...from there
>> a sub menu will fly out to the right.  Click on the device you want to
>> be visible to the guest OS.
>> Then just watch as Windows does what it usually does when a USB drive is
>> connected...you should be good to go.
>>
>> Please do report back your success...and if you're still having trouble,
>> that too.
>>
> Instructions were followed verbatim and the device did not show up in
> the sub-menu. What I find puzzling is that a USB scanner showed up and
> worked without any problem.

Carefully read 3.7.9 USB support and 4.6 Folder sharing in the
VirtualBox documentation.

>From 3.7.9:
<quote>
Note:
1. Be careful with USB devices that are currently in use on the host!
For example, if you allow your guest to connect to your USB hard disk
that is currently mounted on the host, when the guest is activated, it
will be disconnected from the host without a proper shutdown. This may
cause data loss.
</quote>

So rather than attempting to mount the drive in the guest, set samba
sharing on the drive (from the host) and then use 'My Network Places'
and vboxsvr (4.6 Folder sharing):
<quote>
In a Windows guest, starting with VirtualBox 1.5.0, shared folders are
browseable and are therefore visible in Windows Explorer. So, to attach
the host’s shared folder to your Windows guest, open Windows Explorer
and look for it under “My Networking Places” -> “Entire Network” ->
“VirtualBox Shared Folders”. By right-clicking on a shared folder and
selecting “Map network drive” from the menu that pops up, you can assign
a drive letter to that shared folder.
Alternatively, on the Windows command line, use the following:
net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename
While vboxsvr is a fixed name (note that vboxsrv would also work),
replace “x:“ with the drive letter that you want to use for the share,
and sharename with the share name specified with VBoxManage.
</quote>