new system current ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 20:39:05 UTC 2009

On 07/06/2009 11:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/06/2009 11:37 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>> I am looking for an answer to the following problem.
>>> I'm in the process of building/acquiring a brand new system build around
>>> the AMD phenom II X4 810.
>>> My current system is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+.
>>> My question:
>>> Is it possible to put my current disk with Ubuntu 8.04 in this new
>>> system ( as the first disk) and then start ubuntu ?
>>> This system is now build for an SMP core (Symmetric MultiProcessing)
>>> while the phenom exploits CMP (Chip-level MultiProcessing) and I have no
>>> idea if ubuntu when starting will rearrange/adapt itself to the new
>>> situation.
>>> Hope somebody can with more knowledge than I give me some insight!
>>> Joep
>>>

>> Sure. I regularly swap hard drives in my test machines.
>>

> Jerry,
S/Jerry/Gary :-)

> As always thanks for the very quick reply (do you ever sleep??).
> So even when the two systems are completely different? ANd doesn;t it
> have to be manually adapted for optimal performance??
> Joep

Yep. I have a set of drives that have specific test configs on them; I
often swap them between two test machines. One machine is an older 1Ghz
384Mb machine, the other is a newer 2.4Ghz 768Mb machine. Note: both are
32bit. The only thing I do is power down, pull the drive cables at the
drives & the drive power cables, put in the test drives, cable up, reboot.

This is one of the reasons why Ubuntu switched to UUIDs. These may help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountDevicesTroubleshooting
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community