1GB Trash. Permission denied.

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Mon Jul 6 15:38:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:30 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Michael M. wrote:
> > (Note: Dotan, you snipped the attribution for the text you replied to.
> > I know you didn't write the "Out of curiosity..." section, but I don't
> > know who did so I can't fix it.  Please try to make sure you are
> > properly attributing quoted passages in your posts to the list.)
> >

> i had several users ask that they not be quoted such, for fear that
> their email addresses would get harvested. Apparently TFA obfuscate
> email addresses in the header, but not in the bodies.

That is counter to:

        Proper quoting is very important on mailing lists, to ensure
        that it is easy to follow the conversation. There are four
        fundamental rules:

             1. When replying to an email, ensure that the email which
                you are replying to is indented with a symbol such as >
                or | (this is usually done from the preferences of your
                email client - most should do this by default).
             2. When quoting, attribute the quoted text to the person
                who wrote it (again, most email clients will do this by
                default). Be careful to attribute the correct text to
                the correct person.

People who are worried about their email addresses being harvested
shouldn't be posting to public mailing lists, or (more usefully) should
learn how to use or combine the many, many spam-filtering tools
available.  Violating common mailing list etiquette that exists for the
benefit of all to cater to the whims of a few users who refuse to do
that is the wrong approach.  One might call it "dumbing-down."  As
Ubuntu's guidelines state (and this reflects the policy of every mailing
list I've ever joined), "Proper quoting is very important on mailing
lists..."

If you want to go out of your way to cater to these users, then by all
means reply to them off-list.

You even snipped the attribution for text I wrote, which explicitly
asked you not to snip attribution!

--
Michael M.