Memory size in 9.04

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:40:28 UTC 2009

2009/7/6 Александр Горлов <mail.list.4.ag.hob at gmail.com>:
> Hello folks.
>
> I have 4GB memory on my laptops, but TOP utility shows that only 3GB is
> used. Some part of RAM is used for video memory as I know. I will be very
> surprised in case 1GB of RAM is used for video memory.

Here's what it reports here. 9.04, 4 gb ram, 64 bit system.

Mem:   3866828k total,  3847104k used,    19724k free,     9760k buffers
Swap:  8193140k total,   649680k used,  7543460k free,  2903656k cached

Total memory is a bit less than 4 gigs, but not that much, because
some of that is reserved for the on board video as well as the kernel
itself, and not counted in the Mem total.

Are you by chance using a 32 bit kernel?

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.