No good CD-Rom copy software

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 18:39:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Joerg
Schilling<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> wodim is a dead fork from a 5 year old version of cdrtools.
> It contains many bugs that never have been in the original software.
> Wodim is a result from a non-cooperative downstream package maintainer.
>
> If you like to use recent working software, I recommend you to use the official
> original software from:
>
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
>
> The other programs that have been mentioned in the thread are just GUI
> frontends for cdrtools and of course suffer from not using the original
> software.
>
> Jörg

Wow. time flies, I remember when this split happened, but did not
expect it would go on so long.  Is there a statement from the
distribution managers on this question?

What would it take to get the "actual" cdrtools back into
Ubuntu/Debian?  Isn't there a voting process to make decisions on
things like this?

pj

ps: k3b works great to copy disks for me using the 'stock' CD tools in
Ubuntu.  however, I do seem to make a lot of coasters in writing new
disks (file backups) in Ubuntu with k3b.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science