posting to mailing list via newsgroup?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 4 19:16:58 UTC 2009

On 07/04/2009 11:42 AM, Jay Daniels wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-04 at 10:29 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> To see the rest of the lists available on gmane.org, you can either
>> look
>> through the subscribe lists as above, or go to:
>> http://gmane.org/lists.php
>
> I will try this out tonight.  However, the only real problem I think
> that people find reading the list in the mail program is the way
> Evolution and Thunderbird threads appear in the message list.
> Especially in Evolution.  Threading does not indent the threads or
> replies, only the subject is slightly indented and the only hint it
> gives is a small down arrow.

I don't know about TB 2.x as I use the pre-released TB 3 (Shredder) only
for testing. But in TB 2.x - select View|Layout|Wide View & Message
Pane. Your threaded mgs should be properly threaded. I always arrange
the column panes to:
thread attach subject tag read from date lines junk
but you can drag & drop them to whatever order you wish.

> In Evo, the name and subject should be indented when viewing threads.  I
> enjoy using a mail program that does it all.
>
> Hum, this is a full blown howto! - thanks No0p
>

> jay

I actually use SeaMonkey instead... Evo barfs on large newsgroups
because you can't limit the amount of msg headers downloaded, so you
have to wait until it downloads all of them. Thunderbird is a bit too
'Firefox' like for me & you still need to load a browser. SeaMonkey
combines browser, email/news, chatzilla, and composer all in one
package. It's faster & less bloated than TB and Fx combined (IMO).

I've been using the pre-released SeaMonkey (2.0b1pre) for sometime and
it shares much of the same code of the yet to be released Thunderbird 3
(code named Shredder) & browsing engines/code of Fx 3.x. New filters
allow filtering on headers in newsgroups in the same way you can in
emails, etc. However, you can try the existing version of SeaMonkey:

$ sudo apt-get install seamonkey

Only problem is that version is 1.1.15 and is two versions behind on
security updates.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/356274

My advise is to just install directly from mozilla.org instead.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

and if you'd like to try the 2.0b1pre:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/latest-trunk/
seamonkey-2.0b1pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2	04-Jul-2009 01:24 	 12M