posting to mailing list via newsgroup?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 4 17:29:54 UTC 2009

On 07/04/2009 06:49 AM, Jay Daniels wrote:
> It was suggest to me that I try nntp to view list messages.  It appears
> that some are using the Pan news reader to post.
>
> My question, how are you posting to a mailing list via nntp and why?  I
> realize that most mailing list appear or are archived on the web and in
> news groups.  But I thought you had to subscribe to an "email mailing
> list" - how is this possible through nntp?
>
> Or are you reading the list via news and posting by email?
>
> In any case, google sure finds all messages very fast.  Post a message
> to the list, search for keyword and it appears on google almost instantly!
>
> With Thunderbird and mutt threading, why would I even want to use ol' nntp.

Do this - in Thunderbird, Edit|Account Settings|Add Account|Newsgroup
account - fill in you name & valid email address|Next|Newsgroup server:
news.gmane.org|Next|leave the account name the same|Next|Finish.

Now, in your mail account pane, just below your email accounts you'll
find 'news.gmane.org' - right click on that and select 'Subscribe'. In
the show items that contain box enter: gmane.linux.ubuntu - that will
show you all of the ubuntu lists that you can view & post to via
gmane.org/nntp. Scroll down and find gmane.linux.ubuntu.user & tick the
box. While you're there, if you are interested in any of the other
lists, click those as well. For this experiment, at least click
gmane.linux.ubuntu.security.announce as well. That is a 'read-only'
list, so you can't post to it, but you can easily see all of the
security announcements. Now click 'OK'.

Below news.gmane.org, click on gmane.linux.ubuntu.user. You'll get a pop
stating that there are (currently) 46813 message headers to download for
this newsgroup. Click on 'Download all headers' if you'd like to get the
headers for all msgs on this list back to 2004. That would be my
recommendation... you are only downloading the headers; the msgs don't
get downloaded to until you click on them. If not *uncheck* 'Mark all
remaining as read' and change the download number from 500 to 1000 and
click 'Download'. When you want to get the next 1000, you can click on
File|Get next 1000 New Messages. Now, in your msg subject pane, click
the column icon to display the messages as threaded.

There you go. You can scroll through the msgs & click on one to view.
Find this one and reply to it. When you do that the first time you will
get an verification email from gmane.org - reply to that & your list
reply will be posted afterwards. That's it, from now on you can read &
reply to the list via nntp. Note: unless you specify otherwise, your
send and replies will be located in your 'Local' folder.

To see the rest of the lists available on gmane.org, you can either look
through the subscribe lists as above, or go to:
http://gmane.org/lists.php
and look there. You can subscribe to as many as interest you for viewing
- the first time you post you will get the verification email for that
list.

BTW: you can still keep your email list subscribed at the same time
until you decide that you wish to use nntp instead. Afterwards, you
still don't need to unsubscribe, just go to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users and use the
'Unsubscribe or edit options', log in and set 'Mail delivery' to
'Disabled'. You'll still be subscribed to the list if gmane.org hicups
(does on occasion) or you decide you want to revert to email again. In
that case, just do the same, only setting 'Enabled'.

When you get stuck on Thunderbird, you can do the same to subscribe to
news.mozilla.org:mozilla.support.thunderbird, etc.