ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 58, Issue 311

Jim Kvarnberg jimkvg at 3web.com
Sat Jul 4 16:35:19 UTC 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:48:42 -0600
> From: Jim Kvarnberg <jimkvg at 3web.com>
> Subject: CD/DVD drives and online connection not working in 9.04
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> My Ubuntu 8.10 was upgraded to 9.04 online.  It worked fine until after
> some updates that happened during online I started having problems with
> the CD/DVD drives and online connection.  Now I am using my wife's VISTA
> computer to get online in order to send and receive emails.  My Ubuntu
> 9.04 won't work two CD/DVD drives and online connection that frustrated
> me.  The drives could read contents in discs, but won't do any writing
> and installation of some new software including an iso.  In the VISTA
> computer I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 and used it to try to re-install
> the OS, but because the drives aren't working properly I was unable to
> do it.  I knew that I have to look in the BIOS listing to be sure that a
> CD/DVD drive is selected as a primary boot.  I have a dual boot system
> in my PC.  Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04.  The CD/DVD drives work fine
> in the Windows XP but not the latter one.  Where did I go wrong?  Any
> tips on the solution to the problem will be greatly appreciated.   Thank
> you in advance.  Jim

I resorted to wiping the dual boot system that included Windows XP Pro
and Ubuntu 9.04 off my hard drive by using the live Ubuntu 8.10 iso.
Now everything is back to normal to my great happiness!  What was wrong
with the "updated" 9.04?  Can someone give me some suggestions as to
prevent the screw-up from happening again or to restore my system back
to normal?   Thank you.   Jim