64 bit applets

Sundar Nagarajan sundar.personal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 21:31:10 UTC 2009

Ken T. wrote:
> I was using a 32 bit version of mozilla for web browsing, but I had a
> need to run some native 64 bit applications in my browser and now there
> are 64 bit plugins for java and flash, so I don't really need the added
> complexity of a 32 bit browser anymore.
>
> So I installed the latest java and made the symlink to my .mozilla/
> firefox/plugins directory.  I also altered the java settings under
> about:config, although I don't think this was necessary.  Still I can't
> seem to get java applets to work.  The browser isn't giving me any kind
> of error message.  When I look under about:plugins the java plugin is not
> listed.  If I look at the access time on the plugin file, it doesn't look
> like firefox is even reading it.
>
> What am I missing here?  The flash plugin is in the same directory and it
> seems to be working fine.. actually it is in one of the two directories
> I've tried, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I have the Sun (non-free) Java, JRE, plugin working fine under
Jaunty-AMD64. Instead of asking you a bunch of questions that assume you
have not installed something just right, here is some information from
my system that may help you to get this working:

Packages you need (read: packages that I used):

sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-plugin

If you are using the openjdk version, ignore the rest of my message- it
does not apply to you. In this case, my only suggestion would be to do
the following:
	- Check that the plugin is pointing to the RIGHT shared lib
	- Restart your browser to refresh plugins
	- Check with a SIMPLE applet. I can suggest one site with
		samples: http://www.javaonthebrain.com/brain.html
	  Of course, this is irrelevant until you can see the applet
	  under about:plugins

The actual plugin file is:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.13/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so

Run this command to check that you have these packages installed:

dpkg -l sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

You should see output similar to the following:
ii  sun-java6-bin  6-13-1         Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE)
ii  sun-java6-jre  6-13-1         Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE)
ii  sun-java6-plug 6-13-1         The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

If you run the above command under your AMD64 environment (and not under
a 32-bit chroot if you have one), then you can be sure that only AMD64
packages are being listed (assuming you did not override the
Architecture when installing).

The plugin in installed at /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin.so

This is a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so
(Debian alternatives system).

/etc/alternatives/firefox-javaplugin.so points to the actual plugin
shared library at: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
(installed by sun-java6-bin and not sun-java6-plugin !)

sun-java6-plugin sets up the symlinks in /usr/lib/firefox and
/etc/alternatives in it's postinst script.

--
Sundar Nagarajan
Linux User #170123 | Ubuntu User #2805