Still have problems to login(change password) in new Dell netbook.

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Fri Jul 3 20:54:32 UTC 2009

On 03/07/09 04:24 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Luis Maceira wrote:
>> The advice I received on this list to solve the above problem all depend of
>> getting into the GRUB prompt,which is not possible with this netbook,so far.
>> So,I cannot change the password that I do not know(I cannot do administrative
>> tasks),even pressing ESC when booting I cannot get the GRUB prompt.
>> In this netbook I sequentially see:  MBR...
>>                                      GRUB loading...(I guess it is loading
>> because the process is so fast that I hardly see it)
>>                                      Starting Up...
>
>> I tried to press ESC when I see(and way before!)GRUB loading...but no
>> results.It seems not available the GRUB prompt.
>
>> In the BIOS there is an option to change the user password but is grayed
>> not active.The boot options only show the devices to boot and diagnostics.
>> So,essentially I cannot acess Recovery(or Rescue) Mode.

Is one of those options USB? If so, create a bootable USB key and boot
from that. You can then mount and access the internal boot device of
your netbook and do whatever you like.

> 	What your saying can't be right! When Grub comes up it gives you a
> certain number of seconds to decide which to start. So it appears that
> Grub is NOT coming up.

Why can't it be right? If you set the "certain number of seconds" to
zero, you won't see a prompt.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay