64 bit applets

Ken T. ktectropy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 18:48:00 UTC 2009

I was using a 32 bit version of mozilla for web browsing, but I had a
need to run some native 64 bit applications in my browser and now there
are 64 bit plugins for java and flash, so I don't really need the added
complexity of a 32 bit browser anymore.

So I installed the latest java and made the symlink to my .mozilla/
firefox/plugins directory.  I also altered the java settings under
about:config, although I don't think this was necessary.  Still I can't
seem to get java applets to work.  The browser isn't giving me any kind
of error message.  When I look under about:plugins the java plugin is not
listed.  If I look at the access time on the plugin file, it doesn't look
like firefox is even reading it.

What am I missing here?  The flash plugin is in the same directory and it
seems to be working fine.. actually it is in one of the two directories
I've tried, /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--