inittab

Jay Daniels jaydanie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 15:37:15 UTC 2009

Sundar Nagarajan wrote:
> Jay Daniels wrote:
>> I fixed one box to boot to console, disabled GDM and created an /etc/inittab
>>
>> for the life of me I can't remember the command or runlevel for inittab
>> in ubuntu.
>>
>> jay at my-t60:~$ cat /etc/inittab
>> cat: /etc/inittab: No such file or directory
>>
>> Furthermore, how do I start networking with wifi from console on bootup
>> using 8.04 desktop version?
>>

>> jay
>>

> Ubuntu (Debian) does not use the runlevels (other than 1). And
> (apparently, this is new to me too), Debian does not use /etc/inittab.
>
> To disable starting of gdm (if you are on Jaunty), add the word 'text'
> to the kernel command line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> If you want networking to start BEFORE the graphical desktop comes up,
> install wicd. It will uninstall (and replace) network-manager. IMHO,
> this is a defect in network-manager's design philosophy, and I cannot
> understand why it is made the default in Ubuntu. Guess it is a case of
> the dumbing-down of Ubuntu. wicd separates the network management (done
> using a daemon) and the UI (which provides the tray). To configure
> wireless settings for wicd, see 'man wicd-wireless-settings.conf'. I
> cannot offer additional help, since I do not use a wireless card on my
> desktop.

As I stated before, wicd from repository has bugs on my t60.  How do I
get the latest version in .deb?

I too find this odd that the default network tool is nothing but a gnome
applet.  Why is this?  and why no good ppp dialer for gnome desktop.
gnome-ppp development seems to be dead in the water!

Why the heck would an OS base their network interface on a panel applet
and not have a default network tool which would work with all networks?
  This is seems stupid.  The most used tool relys on a Gnome applet
which Gnome may not even be installed, come on now.

jay