[nntp going down in the history books with aol!] was Re: News Reader Question

Gordon Burgess-Parker gordon at gbpcomputing.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 08:19:35 UTC 2009

Jay Daniels wrote:
> "Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
> offering access to the Usenet Netnews service.  If you wish to continue
> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party vendors."
>
> Many others too many to list...
>
> OVERHEAD and full of SPAM and JUNK, a good enough reason, no?  Also full
> of ILLEGAL porn and other illegal stuff PIRATED software, virus,
> trojans, all sitting on company servers.
>
> I got one word for ya, Liability!  The lawyers are foaming at the mouth!
>
> Good riddance
>

> jay

Many ISPs are closing down their nntp servers for cost reasons.
There are still many ISP-independent NNTP servers in existance which do
NOT suffer from spam, and porn.
news.individual.net is one. I use this and have absolutely no complaints
about the content...

--
Any attached Documents are in Open Document Format.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.1/OpenDocument-v1.1.html