Any experience of Virtualbox hanging the LAN?

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Fri Jul 3 00:45:21 UTC 2009

I have upgraded to vbox 3.0.0 on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.  I am running
Windows XP svc pk 3 in the virtual.  My vbox networking has been NAT
on "adapter 1" using the PCnet-FAST III.  There used to be no issue
with this (other than speed).  But now as soon as the virtual WinXP
gets to the login point I lose my networking.  In addition within
seconds I'll hear from my family "what happened to the internet" as
they appear to lose there's as well.

My question is has anyone else experienced this?  If so what did you
do about it?  Right now I am working from the premise that something
is munging the hand-off between the virtual NIC and the real NIC on my
motherboard.  And that it in turn is overloading the router so it
can't process either inbound or outbound traffic properly.

Would changing the type of interface help?  And if so what would be my
best bet?

I have an extra LAN card that I can put into a spare PCI slot.  If I
install it, once I have this correctly ID'd to *nix, how would I go
about declaring it to vbox?

I did downgrade back to vbox 2.2.4 but the problem seems to remain.

I changed the router with the problem occurring in the same way on the
new router.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: CDBaby <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>