Is there a graphic SFTP for Ubuntu

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:36:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Vincent Arnoux<vincent.arnoux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 18:46, Chris Mohler<cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, it's been a while, but I remember it crapping out when
>> transferring many files at once (SFTP).  I also got bitten by editing
>> a file in-place inside the server folder - it would not let me save
>> changes.  It is also much (~2X) slower to transfer than scp or
>> Filezilla.  I think that's about the point I threw in the towel.
>>
>> Oh, if you want to see bug reports:
>> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query=sftp
>>
>> More info:
>> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=gnome-vfs
>>
>> Chris
>
> Editing a file in-place on a server mounted via gnome-vfs is something
> different than transferring files, which was the request of the first
> post. You won't be able to do that using an SFTP client neither (I
> might be wrong for Filezilla though).

Yes, but the mounted vfs allows you to open the file(s) read-write -
but then saving is problematic.  That is bad behavior, and not
friendly to the user.

> It works for me (c) I suggest you give it another try. It's a pity
> some punctual instability or slowness problems prevent you from the
> awesomeness of having only one application to manage your files, be it
> locally or remotely.

If a program does not work reliably, I think it's reasonable to use an
alternative.

> In general, I believe VFS from inside the file manager is a strong
> selling point for developers and we should not advise an external app
> when it might not be needed. The idea of getting an OS "everything
> included" is pretty seductive, don't dump it right away.

I do like the concept, but I think the implementation is not very
robust.  If it works for you, I'm glad.  But personally, I've wasted
enough time messing with gnome-vfs.  It will be some time before I try
it again - if I do at all.  I'm getting a bit tired of gnome in
general these days so I might try some other WMs ;)

Chris