Display resolution sometimes wrong on power up

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:36:52 UTC 2009

2009/6/30 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
> On 06/30/2009 12:21 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Make a copy of the log when it's working &
> then compare against the one that is not. Or just compare Xorg.0.log
> against Xorg.0.log.old.
>  Note: Meld is excellent for doing this:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/meld - 'sudo apt-get install meld' &
> you'll find it in Applications|Programing|Meld Diff Viewer.
>
> I'd also have a look at ~/.xsession-errors as well to see if anything
> shows up there.

I use meld already, it is excellent.

Looking in Xorg.0.log I can see that, as suspected,  it is not
recognising the monitor.  There is a section in the good one starting:
(II) CHROME(0): Manufacturer: DEL  Model: 7004  Serial#: 1194609712
that goes on the identify all the supported modes and so on and ends
with a set of Modeline specs.  This whole section is missing from the
bad one.

I had a look in .xsession-errors (good and bad) and could not see
anything obvious.

As it appears this is not a problem that has been seen by others I
presume it must be an intermittent fault on the monitor.

I googled to try and find if I could do something in xorg.conf but
most of what is there relates to the days when one had to specify
everything there so it was not clear whether I could just put in a few
lines to give it the missing data.

Colin