size of hard disk & free Ubuntu book

Thomas valhalla2100 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 1 05:40:40 UTC 2009

Hello,

I hope to get around to subscribing to a USENET newsgroup service and
will resume downloading media files.  I will be downloading photos and
audio files of old radio shows and plays. In the past I was getting
files in several categories and prefer accumulating a lot before I put
them on DVDs or CDs.

I will use your suggestion to set up folders for downloading files.

Last night someone suggested that I download a copy (PDF format) of a
free Ubuntu book.  I read some of it last night. My impression is that
it will help me a lot.

Thomas

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Thomas<valhalla2100 at comcast.net> wrote:

> In the Windows world 500 GB is not that much.  I hope that setting up
> the Unbuntu's main section, or drive, with only 25 GB won't be a

25 gigs is plenty. In a sense it is overkill, but it gives you more
room, especially if you hold /var, /tmp, and /usr/local on the same
partition rather than splitting them off. I originally had 10 gigs (I
think) for an initial 8.04 when I built a box last summer, but found
myself running out of space when trying to do a dist-upgrade to 8.10
because of all the extra packages I had to download. I solved that
problem by using a spare 5 gig partition, and mounting it at
/var/cache/apt/archives, which is where all the downloaded packages
get stored.

The reason it is overkill is just that, unless you're using the system
to store copious amounts of data, such as web pages (think server) all
the system files fit neatly under '/' which is the root of the whole
system. Other partitions (home, data, that sort of thing) are
typically on separate partitions, or even drives, and are just mounted
into the whole tree.