Printer & Skype issues, e-Sword & Wine work!

Brother Walt Gee brotherwalt1 at live.com
Sat Jan 31 01:29:52 UTC 2009

Let's start from the beginning.  At my last writing Wine was blank, HPLIP wouldn't install, and Skype had two installations and didn't work either.

Tried valiantly to cram some command line knowledge into this terrlbly old brain. Gave up!

Rebooted several times.  Suddenly up comes an "Orphan Packages" line. Can not for the life of me recall how I got there!

So-o-o, I thereupon joyfully deleted all the orphan packages and rebooted to 8.10-11

Voila! Zee preentair connects.

I reinstall Wine after deleting it in the Synaptic Package Manager along with an ancient and unusable version of Skype that comes with 9 and 11.

Wow! Wine Works!

WOWEE! I can install e-Sword YIPPEE!

Printer suddenly starts to print, quits after one line, and starts spitting out unprinted pages. I hit the cancel button. Now it connects but refuses to print at all! How I installed HPLIP I have no idea!

Skype 2.0.0 now sits forlorn on my desktop pining away for me to call my 88 year old mother in the British Virgin Islands.

Cheers,
walt