: Ubuntu 8.4 problem - 'Grandmaw Linda"

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Jan 29 23:23:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:02:06 -0500
Linda Webb <webbsway at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to update you wonderful folks on my struggle. I did
> manage to pull off downloading Wine ! YEA!  and I did manage to use
> Wine to open my Windowsxp cd and it pulled up the Installation page -
> where it said checking for components. Then it hung up. I left it
> while I opened a package and then ( I am dieing to know this also)
> sometimes when I am doing something  a black page comes up with white
> letters that says Constructing Molecules, and then it is frozen . One
> time I left it till the next day to see what kind of molecules it was
> constructing - but it wouldn't do anything and I had to manually turn
> it off.

That's a screen saver called Molecule, it displays different molecules in 3d. If it's crashing the system on you, probably due to a 3d video problem, find the screen saver settings under Applications (the button) and disable it. Unfortunately I use Xubuntu not Ubuntu so I don't know specifically where that is for you.

David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>