: Ubuntu 8.4 problem - 'Grandmaw Linda"

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:15:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Linda Webb <webbsway at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to update you wonderful folks on my struggle. I did
> manage to pull off downloading Wine ! YEA!  and I did manage to use
> Wine to open my Windowsxp cd and it pulled up the Installation page -
> where it said checking for components. Then it hung up. I left it
> while I opened a package and then ( I am dieing to know this also)
> sometimes when I am doing something  a black page comes up with white
> letters that says Constructing Molecules, and then it is frozen . One
> time I left it till the next day to see what kind of molecules it was
> constructing - but it wouldn't do anything and I had to manually turn
> it off.

Hi Linda,

To run XP inside of Ubuntu, you will need to use a virtual machine -
like virtualbox.  WINE is used to run .EXE windows programs in Ubuntu
- but it can't handle a full install of XP.

You might try loading just the embroidery software with WINE.

If that won't work, or if you want to install XP (in virtualbox) instead:

1. Install VirtualBox
>From menu: System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager.
Search (at the top) for "virtualbox".
In the list below, click the box next to "virtualbox-ose" and select
"Mark for installation"
Then click the "Apply" button on the main toolbar

2. Run VirtualBox
>From menu: Applications->System Tools->Sun xVM VirtualBox
If you cannot find System Tools, log out, and log in.

3. Create a virtual Windows XP
Here are some minimum amounts:
196 MB RAM (I use 1Gb of RAM)
5 GB Harddisk (I use 8Gb disks)

4. Install Windows XP
Insert your Windows XP install CD and install...

Hope this helps,
Chris

PS - I lifted much of the how-to from here:
http://thanhsiang.org/faqing/node/113