Problem with xinetd

Knute Johnson knute2009 at www.knutejohnson.com
Thu Jan 29 00:02:27 UTC 2009

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 14:16 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> # vsftpd is the secure FTP server.
>> service ftp
>> {
>>          disable                 = no
>>          socket_type             = stream
>>          wait                    = no
>>          user                    = root
>>          server                  = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
>>          server_args             = /etc/vsftpd.conf
>>          per_source              = 5
>>          instances               = 200
>> #        no_access               = 192.168.1.3
>>          banner_fail             = /etc/vsftpd.busy_banner
>>          log_on_success          += PID HOST DURATION
>>          log_on_failure          += HOST
>> }
>
> The server_args parameter is the command line options passed to vsftpd
> and not the configuration file pathname.

I got that from the net somewhere.

   If you remove that line, it
> should work.  Your vsftpd.conf file should have the listen=YES line
> commented out.  That option enables the server in standalone mode.
>
> xinetd logs to /var/log/daemon.log.  You should see any error messages
> there.

I wondered why I wasn't finding any messages.  I'm used to Fedora and
there are a lot of subtle differences with U.  I found lots of error
messages but part of the problem was a left over /etc/inetd.conf file.
Removing that, and using the IP instead of the domain name in the
hosts.allow fixed it up.

Thanks very much for the help.

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

   H.L. Mencken