Kernel panic while running X - how to diagnose?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Jan 28 22:39:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:21:40PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:47:58AM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> > Boot from CD and run Memcheck for 4 hours.
> >
> > Follow that up with a run of badblocks against all your Hard drives
> >
> > If no hardware fault is found, try replacing your video card for a
> > couple months, (A low end Nvidia would do nicely and is available for
> > relatively small investment) (I just noticed that your MOBO has on-board
> > video, if you get to this step, please run memtest again with a video
> > card in place so the memory normally reserved for Video is also tested.)
> >
> > After all that, if the computer is still not reliable and no fault can
> > be found, consider gifting it to a 'relative.'
> >
> :-)  I was wondering about memtest, I'll give it a good long run tonight.

It looks like it may be a memory problem, memtest gives errors on test
5, block copy.  I think it may be a marginal compatibility problem
between my memory and the motherboard as the individual DIMMs all test
OK with memtest.

I have looked at the Asus web site and it seems that a BIOS update
*may* fix the problem so I'm trying that (and will give it another
good blast of memtest).

Otherwise it looks as if some different/better memory should fix things.

--
Chris Green