hubackup

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Wed Jan 28 20:09:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 20:05 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 11:36 -0600, John Graddy wrote:
> > I finally gave up on finding what I consider a usable (by fairly
> > inexperienced users) file backup program for Ubuntu.
>
> Just out of interest, what was the problem you had with sbackup and the
> method I proposed? The grsync (as recommended by NoOp) screenshots seem
> reasonably usable, too.
>
> Respond in private if you'd prefer. Thanks.

I was trying to find a program that would allow my wife (a novice user)
to back up and restore her files - mainly email and Open Office
documents.  I have, in the past, simply saved her entire home folder and
then restored from that.  It usually took some time to get everything
completely restored, particularly Email, contacts, Calendar, etc. This
was probably because of ignorance on my part.

I played with sbackup, and, it works as advertised.  However, as you
pointed out, "sbackup is more of a *system* backup system than
a strictly *personal* backup system."  I decided, that if I was going to
do the backups myself, I would use something a little more straight
forward (at least, to me).  I settled on using the backup facility in
Evolution for email and a simple copy of the home directory for
everything else.  That saved me from having to go through a lot of
restoring of things in Evolution to save the email, which I have had to
do in the past if I saved only the home directory.

To be perfectly honest, I missed the link that NoOp included in his
email concerning grsync.  I will probably play around with that to see
if I can come up with something that my wife can/will use.

Thanks again for the quick responses.  What I'm doing is certainly not
the optimal way to do this, but, it works for this situation.  Something
much more sophisticated would certainly be required for a more
complicated problem.

John