printing via serial to usb cable

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 17:05:55 UTC 2009

Wade Smart wrote:
> Okay... LaserJet4050 (Default Printer) "Unable to open device file
> "/dev/ttyUSB0": Permission denied"

I remember I had a similar problem with my USB->parallel adapter with my
printer. I think the solution was a udev rule to change the group
ownership to lp instead of root. You could try this command:

sudo chown root:lp /dev/ttyUSB0

Then try again if you can use the printer.

Please note: this isn't permanent, so if you unplug the serial converter
or if you reboot the problem will be here again. However, if that works I
would try to find out how to make / change the appropriate udev rule.

Nils