printing via serial to usb cable

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jan 28 15:59:25 UTC 2009

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20090128 0906 GMT-5
>
> I recently posted about my parallel to usb cable causing lots of
> problems on my system - and since I received no help there I decided to
> try something else.
>
> I borrowed a serial to usb cable. I was able to print a test page by:
> sudo echo "Printer Test" > /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> but I havent been able to print any other way.
>
> In cups I changed the uri to usb://dev/ttyUSB0 and then I ran the
> configure script but nothing changed.
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Wade

Try a serial URI

ex: serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=11500

Also note: I think (without being absolutely certain) that you only use
1 / when you refer to a file (or a device note) directly on your system,
use // when your are specifying a network resource.  I don't know if
that matters or if CUPS is smart enough to figure that out on it's own.
 ( // also seems to be used by USB printers that are named by their
model number rather than a device note, for examply, in my system, I
have usb://Samsung/ML-1740  compared to parallel:/dev/lp0)