Kernel panic while running X - how to diagnose?

Flynn, Steve (L & P - IT) Steve.Flynn at capita.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 15:29:44 UTC 2009

IF the Kernel is panicking, there's a chance that the diagnostics aren't
being written to the log files.

When the Kernel performs it's next panic, go through the Alt-SysReq
keystrokes to flush as much as possible to the logs.

Hit

Alt-Sysreq and R
Alt-Sysreq and S
Alt-Sysreq and E
Alt-Sysreq and I
Alt-Sysreq and U
Alt-Sysreq and B

in that order, a few seconds apart and after the machine reboots check
out the logs to see if there's any further information contained
therein.

S.

This email and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email and then permanently delete the email. Copyright reserved.

All communications, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded and are monitored for legitimate business purposes.

The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. It is the recipient’s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses.

The Capita Group plc and its subsidiaries ("Capita") exclude all liability for any loss or damage whatsoever arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.