Moving my webserver to a new machine

Michele Zarri m.zarri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 10:37:54 UTC 2009

Hello,

I searched the email archive and googled for it but did not have much luck.

Currently I am running my webserver on my main desktop however I would like
to move it to a old laptop for the following reasons:
1. the power consumption of the laptop is much lower than that of my desktop
(60Watts maximum)
2. I need to dual boot my main desktop in Windows Vista since my wife has an
ipod touch and she's not happy with the alternatives to iTunes. (I cannot
install Windows Vista on a virtual machine because it came pre-installed and
I do not have the DVD to re-install. All I have an image in a "recovery"
partition of the hard disk. When I do so, clearly the server goes down.

Currently there is not much on the webserver, just Gallery2, Wordpress and a
couple of pages, but I do not want to have to reinstall or fiddle with the
pictures (Gallery2) and blog entries (Wordpress) databases.

The new webserver (the laptop) has a pristine intrepid ubuntu server
installed as well as the gnome desktop (I am not fully converted to command
line).

Any suggestion?
Is it sufficient to move the relevant files across? If so, what are the
relevant files?

Cheers,

Michele