hi there, all!

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Tue Jan 27 06:57:31 UTC 2009

Hi, Haseeb!

Haseeb ul Hasan wrote:
> I am basicallly trying to switch to Ubuntu, mainly because I am a
> little sick of windows :).
> Actually i bought Compaq Presario V6715EN (64 bit platform) which came
> with Vista home edition, I have checked the website and the problem i
> am facing is, i cant find any drivers in the compaq support section
> and its really hard to find 64 bit drivers for ubuntu.
>
> Its a really long drag to find all the manufacturer sites to dig into
> them to find all the drivers for 64 bit platform of ubuntu. Does any
> one out there already have installed it on a 64 bit platform or
> especially on this laptop model. I hope it might auto load all the
> drivers (maybe have all ofém in its database).
>
> I really would appreciate if anyone knows a site which is a good
> driver search engine for ubuntu
First off, you probably don't need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu. Unless
you are going to be driving several graphics cards with each more than
2GB of RAM, or doing weather computation (at global scale) or seismic /
geographical computations. :)

So why not just try the 32 bit version of Ubuntu? And... drivers? Why
bother. :)

Seriously, just download the live CD in 32 bit mode, and boot from it.
>From there you can check that graphics work, and networking and audio...
If you are happy that everything works, then go ahead and install it
either next to Vista (resizing the Vista disk in the process, and using
multi-boot) or over Vista replacing the old OS.

Gilles.