hubackup

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Mon Jan 26 21:15:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 19:30 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 10:35 -0600, John Graddy wrote:
> > I recently installed hubackup on an 8.04 system.  When I execute
> > "System > Adnministration > Home User Backup", the system creates a
> > master backup DVD.  When I executue "System > Administration > Home User
> > Restore" nothing happens. Any ideas?
>
> This, I think. hubackup sucks.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hubackup/+bug/159259
>
> Try using sbackup for a reasonably simple but working backup solution.
>
> Strangely, Ubuntu does not offer a really good GUI backup solution. This
> was discussed at the Ubuntu Developer Summit for version 9.04, but I
> can't remember the outcome. The discussion results are somewhere here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDSJaunty/Report

I have tried sbackup.  I can't make it work, even going through the
procedure spelled out in the Ubuntu documentation.

I have a desktop system with two users.  I am the "administrator" and my
wife also has an account.  I want her to use a backup to create her own
file backups.  I can do that from my account, but, when she tries it
from her account, the system asks for her administration password or
tells her that she doesn't have permission to run the program.

John