SAMBA problem

Pete Clapham peteclapham at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 26 19:34:05 UTC 2009

Hi, all --

I have set up an Ubuntu server (intrepid) with SAMBA as a Domain
Controller, and it ALMOST works.  The message I get when I try to log in
from a workstation is that the domain controller isn't communicating
with it; when I check with the SAMBA log it says that the workstation
tried to link up with it, but that there is no account for the computer
in the domain and that it could not find the password.  This almost
makes sense (at least that it couldn't find the password if there was no
account).  However, SWAT (which seems to be a good way to administer a
SAMBA account) doesn't tell me how to set up the computer accounts.  I
have built the LMHOSTS file in the /etc/samba directory, but this
apparently isn't enough.  Can anybody advise how to set up the accounts
for the computers?

Thanks.

cheers,
pete