Fedora Core or Ubuntu | Thin Clients

Shizzle Cash shizzlecash at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:48:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Trey <trey at hi-flitones.com> wrote:
> > Hi. I have 1 standalone machine and 2 thin clients I need 2 setup. I know
> this is possible with Ubuntu but the person setting this up for me keeps
> trying to get me to use fedora. I'm simply just wandering if fedora provides
> any advantages for thin client setup than Ubuntu?
>
> The last time I checked - which has been a while, I admit - Fedora was
> still using LTSP 4, while Ubuntu had moved on to LTSP 5.  But if
> Fedora has caught up by now, there should not be much difference.
>
> I think the edubuntu CD has the LTSP installer option, but it should
> be in the repos as well...
>
> Chris

Just out of curiosity, who is going to be administering this server?  Are
you, or the person setting up this server?  If this other person is the one
who is going to be administering the box, and they're more familiar with
Fedora, I'd say let them use it.  There is unlikely to be much difference
(if the LTSP versions are the same) between the two.  The biggest difference
between Ubuntu, which is Debian-based and Fedora, which is RedHat-based is
the package-management each uses.  Ubuntu uses Debian's package management,
apt, while Fedora uses RedHat's package management, rpm.

If *YOU* are going to be the one administering the server, pick the
distribution *YOU* are most comfortable with.