Emacs users: what software do I need to send and recieve emails with Ubuntu/emacs on my laptop?

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Mon Jan 26 12:42:55 UTC 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 18:06:09 Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Hi list,
> I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
> but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
> I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
> use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls installed? Do
> I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these things?
>
> Evolution is relatively easy to set up for multiple smtp accounts but
> extremely rigid to use (IMHO) for example; it will not allow me to
> customize key bindings which is somewhat of a dealbreaker. If I could
> only get Gnus set up properly I would be much happier reading mailing
> lists!
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me

Hm, its been a few days without an answer, so here's my 0.02EUR.

I cannot say anything on Gnus; I don't read usenet news and Gnus is IMHO a bit
news-centric. Judging from the manual you should be fine with the openssl
package installed; reading POP mail and sending mail should work out of the
box ( http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_toc.html ). Have you tried it?

FWIW, I tried to switch to the vm emacs mail reader once but had trouble
accessing SSL Imap so I'm back to KMail and emacs as an external editor.

cheers,
peter.