SSH between computers on LAN

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 26 02:50:41 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Geff Lampshire wrote:
>> Haven't been paying real close attention to this - but suggest you stop
>> putting "0" in the third octet - you may be running afoul of an
>> inability of one (or both) of your routers to handle the
>> classful/classless and zero address issues.
>
> Not sure what you mean but 192.168.0.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0 is a
> valid network.

Not only that, but probably 90% of all the home networks in the world are
using 192.168.0.*, as that is the default for all the home routers I've used
(and my Linksys routers won't even let you use anything else unless you flash
the firmware) .

>> You did set "classless" right?
>
> I don't think you can set that anywhere in the usual routers. After all
> the old classful networks still work with CIDR.

Never seen an option specifically mentioning "classless"