How to run GUI admin tools remotely?

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Sun Jan 25 18:02:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:20:40 +0000
Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:47:16AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> >    On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Chris G <[1]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> >      On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:35AM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> >      >    On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Chris G <[1][2]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> >      >
> >      >      I have a backup system in my garage on which I have installed
> >      xubuntu
> >      >      8.10.  It would be really useful to be able to administer it
> >      remotely
> >      >      from my desktop system in my house (also xubuntu 8.10), but none
> >      of
> >      >      the GUI systems/services admin tools will work because of X
> >      security.
> >      >      I always get something like the following:-
> >      >
> >      >         root at garage:/usr/bin# services-admin
> >      >         X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> >      >
> >      >         (services-admin:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >      >      localhost:10.0
> >      >
> >      >    Do you have firewall running on the garage PC? If you don't know
> >      then do
> >      >    "apt-get Install lokkit" then run it and disable firewall. See if
> >      that
> >      >    helped.
> >      >
> >      No firewall, all of the LAN is behind a router which provides the
> >      firewall against the 'outside'.
> >
> >    Do you run "lokkit" to be sure?
> >
> You don't seriously expect me to install 174Mb of software just to
> confirm I don't have a firewall running on the system do you?  It's a
> minimal server system with as few additions as possible. :-)

Something has happened between 8.04 and 8.10 where 'recommends' are now being automatically pulled in. Apt-get install lokkit will pull in gnome-lokkit, which on a minimal Xubuntu system will pull in all the missing gnome libs, evolution-data-server etc., that a full gnome desktop would need. On 8.04 lokkit, IIRC, is roughly a 500KB install.

In any case 'sudo iptables --list' will show you your policies.

David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>