grep is always recursive

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sun Jan 25 16:08:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 10:44 -0500, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:51:49PM -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > You do not happen to have a directory called "-r" in your home
> > directory.  That would cause the problem you are seeing.
>
> BINGO! That was indeed it. I never would have thought to look for
> that. Excellent work! Thanks all.

The GNU option processor does not care where an option appears in the
command line which is a little odd and not what the documentation
suggests is the correct syntax. e.g. options come first before file
names, etc.  Anything with a leading "-" is considered an option.  Try
this sometime:

ls <file> -l <another_file>
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell