How do I backup my email so that I can import it all back in at a later time if I need to?

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 04:55:22 UTC 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Gregor GrĂ¼ner wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thunderbird stores the e-mails and profile settings in a special
> directory under /home/user/.thunderbird/ or ~/.thunderbird
> directory. All you have to do is backup this directory.

Newer versions of Thunderbird store mail under .mozilla-thunderbird in
your home directory.  I would recommend regularly backing that
directory up.  You could use tar + gzip (or bzip2) to keep the file
size smaller.  Example:  'tar -zcf thunderbird_mail.tar.gz .mozilla-
thunderbird' in your home directory.

--snip--