DNS doesn't seem to work

Pete Clapham peteclapham at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 25 00:42:25 UTC 2009

Hi --

I just set up a machine with Ubuntu Server.  Everything appears to work fine EXCEPT it's not connected to DNS.  For example, I can ping an IP number, but I can't ping the same site by name.  ifconfig is correct; /etc/network/interfaces is correct; /etc/resolv.conf is correct as well.  The behavior of the system suggests that the interface isn't communicating with the DNS servers indicated in the resolv.conf file.  I suspect that there's a configuration file I've overlooked.  Any ideas?

Thanks.