Adblock-Plus How To

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 25 00:11:22 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 1/24/09, Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
From: Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Adblock-Plus How To
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 5:09 PM

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Just installed it but can't find an executable anywhere, in menu K or
with locate. Did some searching with locate and discovered that the executable
file name is adblockplus, not adblock-plus
> and that it had a js installation file. Not knowing anything about java, I
did a js --help and was prompted to run this command to install the adblock
executable:
> sudo js -debug -f /usr/share/adblock-plus/install.js
> which gave this output:
> js: "/usr/share/adblock-plus/install.js", line 53: uncaught
JavaScript runtime exception: ReferenceError: "Install" is not
defined.
>         at /usr/share/adblock-plus/install.js:53
> Which leaves me not knowing how to solve the issue.
> Can anyone tell me how to resolve the issue or else how to properly get
adblock-plus installed and functional. It was installed from the mirror:
> deb http://apt.wicd.net/ intrepid extras
> on an intrepid machine. Haven't googled on the issue
> yet as this seems like an Ubuntu installation issue.
> Any clues welcomed and thanks,

I installed this from Firefox's menu:  Tools->Add-ons->Get Addons.

I must confess, didn't even think to check for an Ubuntu package. There
should be nothing to do, other that restarting Firefox after
adblock-plus is installed. If that fails I'd be tempted to utterly
remove it via:

$ sudo aptitude purge adblock-plus

... and get it via Firefox itself.

regards

Mark

Well, thanks Mark, for the tip as I slap myself across the face.  I thought
I had rebooted but after restarting firefox it was listed in the tools menu.
Still wondering though, if the js command I ran on the install.js was correct
and why the error output if command was correct. Not knowing a thing about
using java or java script, knowing might start my learning process. Thanks
again for the help.  BTW, I did google for the entire output message but got
no hits. Googled for the last part of the message and got about 6 or 8 hits
but nothing helpful.

Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: