And another Ubuntu convert!

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:50:12 UTC 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Preston Kutzner wrote:
>> On Jan 24, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless your browser has vulnerabilities, script isn't supposed to be
>>> able to
>>> do anything harmful (activex, of course, is just one huge
>>> vulnerability).
>>> Having a script blocker asking  whether it can run scripts every
>>> time
>>> you
>>> come to a new site ruins the experience of the web, for little
>>> value.  I
>>> don't _want_ to have to decide whether to trust scripts on every
>>> site, and I
>>> absolutely don't  believe I need to.
>>

>> As a slight tangent to the original discussion:
>>
>> While I don't use noscript to prevent infection vectors while
>> browsing, it is handy to keep ads and tracking scripts from running
>> while I visit web pages.  Also, it is handy for sites like Linked-In
>> where on systems, it's javascript is so jacked up that some of its
>> pages take *minutes* to load.  It is also good for preventing those
>> really annoying pop-over ads (the flash ones that FF's built-in popup
>> blocking doesn't catch).  So, there are reasons for people to use
>> such
>> plug-ins.  And as far as annoyance is concerned, that's a relative
>> argument.  I'd rather put up with the "annoyance" of having to
>> manually allow scripts for pages than to be bombarded with useless
>> advertising and tracking scripts while I'm browsing.
>

> Have you tried just Ad-block? It might do what you want (FWIW I use
> Noscript and Adblock Plus!)

Adblock is good for killing ads, yes.  But noscript also can block
certain site scripts as well.  My Linked-In example is a good case-in-
point.  Granted, not everyone needs NoScript and Adblock would
probably be fine for them.  I was just defending the fact that
NoScript is useful to some people for various reasons.