And another Ubuntu convert!

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:11:09 UTC 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Unless your browser has vulnerabilities, script isn't supposed to be
> able to
> do anything harmful (activex, of course, is just one huge
> vulnerability).
> Having a script blocker asking  whether it can run scripts every
> time you
> come to a new site ruins the experience of the web, for little
> value.  I
> don't _want_ to have to decide whether to trust scripts on every
> site, and I
> absolutely don't  believe I need to.

As a slight tangent to the original discussion:

While I don't use noscript to prevent infection vectors while
browsing, it is handy to keep ads and tracking scripts from running
while I visit web pages.  Also, it is handy for sites like Linked-In
where on systems, it's javascript is so jacked up that some of its
pages take *minutes* to load.  It is also good for preventing those
really annoying pop-over ads (the flash ones that FF's built-in popup
blocking doesn't catch).  So, there are reasons for people to use such
plug-ins.  And as far as annoyance is concerned, that's a relative
argument.  I'd rather put up with the "annoyance" of having to
manually allow scripts for pages than to be bombarded with useless
advertising and tracking scripts while I'm browsing.