SSH between computers on LAN

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:10:22 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I did a traceroute from this computer looking for the laptop and it
>> failed. But a traceroute from the laptop works to this computer.
>>

> Are you using the correct IP address for the laptop? If you try to ping
> the IP of the wireless port of the laptop while it is actually connected
> by wire, you won't get a reply. Try the IP of the wired port instead. Run
> the "ifconfig" command on the laptop to find out which IP address it has
> on the wired port.
>

> Nils

    I was trying Traceroute to see if it might explain why a ping to the
laptop fails. I do ifconfig on the laptop to get it's ip.

    Still do not understand how this setup fails. I have 2 routers. The
second router gets Internet from the first. Right now the DSL-router is
192.168.0.x and the Belkin Router is 192.168.1.x wired and 192.168.2.x
from the WiFi port. Any computer on any port will get fine two way
Internet from the DSL. But it is one way from the DSL-router to the
Belkin router. A computer on the Belkin can ping a computer on the
DSL-router but not the other way. It's an odd problem. I expect the
Belkin router is not really a router.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI