Waking up the printer makers to the existence of ubuntu and other linux users

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 24 06:59:06 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> I have, indeed, found boxes that advertise Linux support,

Linux support advertised on the box doesn't mean a thing. I remember a
Lexmark printer which had advertised Linux support on the box. A friend
bought it and couldn't make it work. Finally we found out, they only had
a driver for an obsolete RH version. There was no way to make it work
with the Suse version which was on the friend's machine.

> but it's
> pretty easy to find out if any particular is supported online.

Yes, that's where I would look as well - not on the box.

Nils