SSH between computers on LAN

steve sfreilly at
Fri Jan 23 22:24:04 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>     I have sshd on this Hardy on my big computer and it works fine when
> I ssh to it from my laptop with Intrepid. It goes through 2 routers and
> still works fine. But I can't get it to transfer files between the 2
> computers.
>     I read where a guy was using "scp" to transfer files but his router
> failed. My problem is simply "scp" doesn't work because I can not figure
> out how to use it. When I type "scp" it prints a long list of things
> which mean nothing to me.
>     This is the same as ftp but using different letters and such. I
> don't have sshd set up on the laptop. Could this cause a problem?
> Karl

hi karl,

ive recently started using this to transfer things between computers on
my lan as well.  try it this way, and take a look at the man page too,
its helpful

scp filename <space> ip of computer your sending to: ~

this will transfer the file to the home directory of receiving computer

Steve Reilly

~ Netiquette ~