And another Ubuntu convert!

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jan 23 22:14:31 UTC 2009

Robert Parker wrote:

> I personally read stuff like:
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus
>
> It's written by a sysadmin whom I have followed for years.

Good article - deflates the (IMHO) pure hype associated with anti-virus
software. Personally I think the various vendors of such products see
their market stalling or shrinking as people shift to alternatives like
OSX or Ubuntu - and are desperate to convince us that "we too" need
"them". I think we don't, instead:

- use a firewall
- use a script blocker like noscript in your browser
- make sure scripting if off in your mail client
- apply your os updates regularly

The article also points to the behavioural aspects of security - common
sense about what you do and where you go:

- don't run your system as root (hard to do on Ubuntu, which is good)
- don't install server software that you don't need (e.g don't install
openssh-server unless you need to)
- don't install programs or packages from untrusted sources (your mate's
usb drive or email attachment is an untrusted source...)
- use common sense about what web sites you visit

On could go on, but I'm sure you all get the idea.

If you need to operate you machine in a hostile environment  - then
consider adding:

- drive or home encryption
- intrusion detection/system security audit software

regards

Mark